Scrambled Duck Eggs with Sevruga
Caviar, Vodka and Blinis
Level of difficulty: Intermediate
Preparation Time: 30 minutes, plus standing
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
4 duck eggs
1 tsp chives, chopped
1 tbsp double cream
1 tbsp cold water
pinch of salt
8 turns of white peppermill
20g unsalted butter
90g sevruga caviar
small ladleful of vodka
For the blinis:
10g fresh yeast, or 1 tsp dried yeast plus 1/2 tsp sugar, or 1/2 sachet
easy-blend dried yeast
140ml lukewarm milk
5 tbsp soured cream, at room temperature
115g strong white flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
2 eggs, separated
pinch of finely grated lemon zest
pinch of caraway seeds, crushed
2 tsp melted butter
1. First make the blinis. Blend the fresh yeast with the warmed milk and
soured cream. If using dried yeast, dissolve the sugar in the milk and
cream, sprinkle in the dried yeast and set aside for 15 minutes until
frothy. If using easy-blend yeast, add it directly to the flour.
2. Sift the flour into a bowl with the salt, sugar
and easy-blend yeast if using.
3. Add the egg yolks, lemon zest and caraway seeds
to the milk and cream mixture.
4. Pour this into the centre of the flour and mix
to a smooth batter. Cover and leave to stand in a warm place for 1 hour
until spongy and bubbly.
5. Lightly grease a 5cm round cutter. Put a cast-iron
griddle on the hob to heat.
6. Whisk the egg whites until firm but not dry.
7. Using a metal spoon, fold the egg whites into the
batter along with the melted butter.
8. Place the greased cutter on the hot griddle. Pour
1 tablespoon of the batter into the cutter. When bubbles appear, remove
the cutter, turn the blini over and cook the other side.
9. Repeat with the remaining batter. Keep the cooked
blinis warm as you work.
10. When ready to serve, put the duck eggs, chives,
cream and water in a bowl. Season with salt and white pepper. Whisk until
11. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the egg
mixture and stir over medium-low heat until almost set.
12. Spoon into scallop shells or small serving dishes
and top with caviar.
13. Warm the vodka, pour over the eggs and ignite.
Rush to the table.
14. Serve with the hot blinis.
Here some more very useful resources